Friday, December 26, 2008

Golden Port Dim Sum - Reviewed

Golden Port Dim Sum
105 East Ave
256-1780
Menu Link

Rating: Thumbs Up!

I really like the Golden Port. It is actually one of my favorite place to eat out. Their dim sum is wonderfully delicious, hence the 4.5 stars.

In fact, it is the only place in Rochester where I will eat dim sum.

Some restaurants vary in consistency---but Golden Port is pretty consistent with their food.

Although I mainly stick to the dim sum offerings when I visit Golden Port, I have had some of their main dishes and they were all pretty good, as well.

The food usually comes out pretty quickly once you have ordered (using a method of circling items you want on a menu). And, it's hot, fresh and tasty.

The portions for the non-dim sum dishes have varied a little bit, from visit to visit. Sometimes being a little larger portion than other times. All in all, it's not a bad portion size.

My only "complaint," if you will, is that it's not particularly a "friendly" place. Don't get me wrong---the servers aren't mean or anything. It's just not a "warm and fuzzy" atmosphere, the type of place where regular customers are warmly greeted and known by name, their favorite dishes already being worked on in the kitchen, before they are even circled on the menu. You'd think that if you were a patron of a restaurant every single week, the owners or servers would make an attempt, an effort, at some sort of camaraderie.....alas, not at Golden Port.

But, that's okay.....at least the food is good! And, in the end, that's what matters most.

My favorite dim sum menu items? Roast Pork Buns (some of the best I've ever had, large and fluffy), Gold Port Veggie Rolls (fresh rolls, made with shredded carrot and jicama, plus basil leaves), Turnip Cakes, Edamame, Fried Pork Spring Rolls, Scallion Pancakes.

I also like their Kung Pao Chicken from the "Chinese Dishes" part of the menu. I am a lover of Kung Pao, and it's always how I judge every Chinese restaurant I visit. Golden Port makes a pretty good Kung Pao!

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment